Energy Saving Act 1980
The Energy Saving Act (EnEG) was issued in 1976 to improve the balance of trade, more precisely to reduce the dependency of the Federal Republic of Germany on imported energy carriers. The act does not contain any regulations directly affecting the citizen but empowers the Federal Government to legislate ordinances. Thereby, the approval of the "Bundesrat" (Parliament representing the German Federal States) is necessary. Since then ordinances that pose energetic requirements on buildings and their appliances can be legislated based on the EnEG.
Particularly to develop a legal basis
- for the issuance of a Heating Cost Ordinance and
- to set up requirements for the improvement of thermal insulation in the building stock,
the EnEG was amended by the "Erstes Gesetz zur Änderung des Energieeinsparungsgesetzes vom 20. Juni 1980". In the process however, the provision about economic feasibility (§ 5) was specified as far as refurbishment is concerned. Furthermore, § 7 was revised in order to avoid conflicts with the simplification of the administrative structures for legal enforcement. The federal states are explicitly authorised to refrain from the enforcement of requirements concerning the thermal insulation of existing buildings.
The act in this version was valid from 26 June 1980 to 8 September 2005 (except the Euro-values given in § 8 which were adapted with the Euro Adaption Act of 10 November 2001).
In this period the following ordinances have been enacted based on the EnEG:
- Thermal Insulation Ordinance 1982 (validity period:01/01/84 – 31/12/94)
- Thermal Insulation Ordinance 1995 (validity period: 01/01/95 – 31/01/02)
- Heating Cost Ordinance 1984 (validity period: 01/01/84 – 28/02/89)
- Heating Cost Ordinance 1989 (validity period: 01/03/89 – 31/12/08)
– for this ordinance requirements of the Unification Treaty were valid for the new federal states –
- Heating Appliance Ordinance 1982 (validity period: 01/06/82 – 28/02/89)
- Heating Appliance Ordinance 1989 (validity period: 01/03/89 – 31/05/94)
- Heating Appliance Ordinance 1994 (validity period: 01/06/94 – 30/04/98)
- Heating Appliance Ordinance 1998 (validity period: 01/05/98 – 31/01/02)
- Energy Saving Ordinance 2002 (validity period: 01/02/02 – 07/12/04)
- Energy Saving Ordinance 2004 (validity period: 08/12/04 – 30/09/07)