Energy Saving Act (EnEG) 2009
(validity period: 02/04/2009 – 12/07/2013)
The Energy Saving Act ("Energieeinsparungsgesetz" (EnEG)) was issued in 1976 to improve the balance of trade, more precisely to reduce the dependency of the Federal Republic of Germany on imported energy carriers. The act does not contain any regulations directly affecting the citizen but empowers the Federal Government to legislate ordinances. Thereby the approval of the "Bundesrat" (Parliament representing the German Federal States) is necessary. Since then, ordinances that pose energetic requirements on buildings and their appliances can be legislated based on the EnEG.
Since it is effective, the following ordinances have been enacted based on the: Energy Saving Act:
- Heating Plant Operation Ordinance (invalid since 1989)
- Thermal Insulation Ordinance (invalid since 2002)
- Heating Appliance Ordinance (invalid since 2002)
- Heating Cost Ordinance
- Energy Saving Ordinance
The Energy Saving Act was adjusted in some points for the implementation of the European Directive on Energy Performance of buildings. The amendments essentially concern the addition of principles for energetic requirements on lighting systems as well as for the issuance of energy certificates.
Valid from 2 April 2009, the act was amended by the “3rd Law amending the Energy Saving Act of 28th March 2009” with provisions for the implementation of the German Integrated Energy and Climate Program ("IEKP 2007").
Worth mentioning are especially the following amended regulations:
- In § 4, Section 3 was amended for the purpose to empower the government to setup requirements concerning the shut-off of existing electric storage heaters (in the meantime, this provision was canceled again by the "4th Law amending the Ernergy Saving Act of 4th July 2013").
- As legal basis for the enforcement of requirements concerning the building stock by "contractors declarations", a new § 7a was added.
Furthermore, the 3rd Law amending the Energy Saving Act of 28th March 2009 contains several amendments of other legal acts, which are only partly connected to the Energy Saving Act.
The EnEG the version valid from 2nd April 2009 to 12th July 2013 empowered the Federal Government inter alia:
- to set up requirements concerning the thermal insulation of new buildings
- to set up requirements concerning design, selection and construction of systems or installations for heating, ventilation, cooling, lighting and hot water supply
- to set up requirements concerning the operation of systems and installations for heating, ventilation, cooling, lighting and hot water supply
- to set up requirements on the determination and distribution of costs of collective heating or ventilation systems or systems for collective supply of hot water
- to define content and use of energy certificates based on energy demand and metered energy
Download German Energy Saving Act (EnEG) 2009: