Second Ordinance amending the Energy Saving Ordinance
On 16th October 2013, the German Federal Government finally accepted the amendment of the Energy Saving Ordinance (EnEV), including the changes from the decision of the "Bundesrat" (2nd chamber of parliament). Due to the publication date of the "2nd Ordinance amending the Energy Saving Ordinance of 18th November 2013", the new regulations got into force on 1st May 2014.
An important element of the amendment is the strengthening of energy performance requirements for new buildings in one single step by 1st January 2016. Existing buildings are excluded from these changes of requirements. In addition, the role of energy certificates as information tool for consumers is improved. The amendment completes the implementation of the relevant decision of the Federal Government in the context of the "Energiewende" as well as the European Directive on Energy Performance of Buildings (EPBD).
The "Bundesrat" accepted the government’s proposal on 11th October 2013 with some requests for changes ("stipulations"): Due to a decision of the "Bundesrat", classes of efficiency for residential buildings are additionally introduced into energy certificates and property advertisements. Furthermore, the "Bundesrat" stipulated the taking out of service of standard boilers (boilers, that cannot adjust the temperature to the actual needs) from 2015, if these boilers have reached a service life of 30 years. Single- and 2-family-homes are excluded from this regulation, if one flat in the building was occupied by the owner on 1st February 2002.
Via transition periods, stakeholders affected by new regulations were provided with sufficient time to adjust. The enhanced requirements for new buildings get into force on 1st January 2016, the other regulations got into force on 1st May 2014. In the meantime, the ordinance was amended twice via other legal acts:
- Several changes of responsibilities are determined by the 10th Ordinance adapting responsibilities ("Zehnte Zuständigkeitsanpassungsverordnung") of 31st August 2015.
- Certain facilitations for buildings serving as first reception facility or accommadation for refugees are temporarily added to the Energy Saving Ordinance via the "Verordnung zum Asylverfahrensbeschleunigungsgesetz" varlid from 28th October 2015.
Both these amendments are included in the unofficial "reading version available for download here:
- Energy Saving Ordinance 2013, unofficial "reading version" of the ordinance with included & highlighted amendments (only available in German)
- Second Ordinance amending the Energy Saving Ordinance (BGBl. I, Nr. 67 vom 21. November 2013, S. 3951) (only available in German)
- Accompanying studies commissioned for the amendment
Former versions of the EnEV are available in the Archive.